A Regimen for Healthy Sleep: In-Home Care
Lying in bed, I check the clock, it’s 2:00am, then 3:00am, 3:30am and then at 5:00, I suddenly throw the covers off and get out of bed, sleep seems pretty elusive at this point. We’ve all been there at one time or another and some struggle with sleep more often than others.
Here are some tips to enhance good sleeping:
2. Avoid caffeine, nicotine and alcohol before going to bed. Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants and alcohol interrupts sleeping patterns.
3. Sleep only when sleepy.
4. Do not take naps. This way, your body will surely be tired when you head off to bed at that routine time you set up.
5. Turn your clock around. Continuously checking the time in the middle of night does nothing but wake you up, especially when you see that you only have two hours left before you have to get up.
In-Home Care: Getting a Good Night Sleep
6. Eat right and Exercise. Once again, eating right and exercise are suggested for combating another problem/issue/illness. Are you starting to see a pattern here? I am.
7. Take a nice hot bath one to two hours before bedtime.
8. Start a sleeping ritual – whether it be relaxing stretches, breathing exercises or sitting quietly with a cup of caffeine free tea or walk milk.
9. Set up your room so that it is quiet and comfortable. Use curtains to block out unwanted light and close the door to block out unwanted noise.
This article was originally shared by us on the Shore Update Forum Board, where we contribute articles as their Senior Care Expert.